Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A beginning and an ending, together in one place

12-04-2007 PM

Most poignant moments occurred this evening as I sat in an airplane on a taxiway in Chicago’s O’Hare airport. The overcast skies were weighted with snow clouds, almost dark as twilight, with a forecast of six inches of snow starting around our take-off time. Delta Airlines uncharacteristically loaded the airplane and we pushed back from the gate ten minutes early to beat the weather and potential delays. As I looked out the window at snow flurries, memories and many tears came of a day just a few weeks shy of thirty years ago when I was in an even more unfavorable situation; in fact I was on the last plane departing O’Hare before the airport was closed for over a day due to record snow storms. The previous night I had phoned Vivian from my hotel room and talked with her for perhaps an hour or three; told her how much I loved her, and decided to ask her to marry me the next evening when I arrived home from the flight. During the first year or two of our marriage I often wondered if my courage to ask her hand in marriage would have persisted for a few more days if the flight had not taken off. I was mostly afraid of the awesome responsibility of her and two beautiful little girls.

These moments today brought together to one point a beginning and an ending, most precious moments of joyful memories and sadness of an immense loss. Thank you, Vivian, for giving me your very best; most of which I was unworthy to receive.
Wayne

1 comment:

Joshua D. White said...

Wow, wow, wow... what a story, Dad. Thank you for sharing that.