Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vivian's Thank You Card

This is the front of Vivian's thank you card, sent out some weeks after burial of her body. The day after her burial I wrote these words in my journal, and they seemed fitting for her thank you note:

March 6, 2007

"In the freezing and sometimes snowy Ohio wind on a lonely hillside yesterday I watched the casket containing Vivian’s body lower into its final resting place. This ending would have been infinitely more bitter than the wind were it not for the confidence Vivian and I have in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who lived among us, died for our sins, and has now received Vivian into heaven with him. The reality is that Vivian is now enjoying the best and most joyous time of her life, and will do so forever. For her it is a fact and for me confidence by faith. One day I will see her again, and having no reason to not believe there are hugs in heaven, we shall embrace again. Of this I am sure. I cannot help but to have great joy in my heart that Vivian no longer faces this life’s battles, and instead is experiencing the life we all were designed to have from the very beginning, before Adam and Eve set their sails in their own direction.

Redemption is wonderful beyond words, for our Redeemer lives and has granted us eternal life, and helps us in this present one, sometimes clearly, and sometimes with twists and turns that make no sense to us for the present. It is certain that Vivian is doing great today, and it is ok for me to say goodbye to her for now in all earthly respects.

I offer these words of remembrance as a thank you to everyone that has helped and supported us in a thousand different ways as Vivian finished well in this life, as she earnestly desired to do. Vivian and I both know of no greater way to say thank you than to share our faith and confidence in our Savior, and to wish you the same blessings.

Thank you for all that you have done for us in so many ways."

Wayne & for Vivian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will never forget that frigid day that we buried Mommy. The burial marked an end to a very grueling week full of traveling back and forth between Ohio and Georgia. Somehow the funeral in Georgia seemed so hopeful, and peaceful. The temperature was mild, and the sun was shining.

In stark contrast, we traveled back to Ohio. It was overcast, and below 0 degrees with the wind blowing. To her burial, I wore only a sweater and a skirt, and people would ask me if I was cold. Somehow, I really wasn't. I had held it together, but as they ended the grave side service, I felt overwhelmed with panic, and I started crying very hard and saying, "No, No!" All I could think of was that:
1. Mommy does not have a coat on and it is freezing out here!
2. Mommy is claustrophobic! You can't keep that closed and put her in the ground.

That day, the imagery of bodies emptied of their soul/spirit in the ground filled my mind, and suddenly, death, and burial seemed so cruel.

I have gotten past that part of my grief, but that cold, over cast day will always be a day that I would NEVER ever want to have to relive. It truly was a horrible day.